Monday, December 2, 2019

A manifesto to all coaches

This blog is going to be a tricky one. I am going to have to navigate like Admiral Nelson to make sure that I don't offend anyone, and you know that can't be a easy task.
First off, let me explain something.

1. I am not in favour of anyone abusing another human being for any any reason.
2. I am not in favour of someone yelling at someone to motivate another person.
    ( I guess this means that I will never coach in the NHL )

Even Keon was not motivated by Punch Imlach
Davey does his best



Well, to begin with, let me say that what Bill Peters said, and did years back was horrendous,and deplorable.
Secondly, firing a hard ass coach and installing a moderate voice in the dressing room can have healing qualities.  As a friend once said, share the puck. But that doesn't mean you can't correct with a stern voice,a passive approach can be a s harmful as a belligerent one.

What do I mean by that ? If you do not correct bad habits, they are bound to repeat themselves, and if you have a soft demeanor about you, chances are that the message won't get received as effectively as it would if someone uses less gentler language. Now I do not advocate using foul language, but neither do I condone the use of it. Temperatures can get get pretty hot sometimes, in the heat of battle, and tempers get riled up, by athlete and coach.

But I never saw a player do his or her best for very long after a verbal tongue lashing on the sidelines or the bench.  It is better to correct in practice when you can stop the action to inject your message, than yell at a player during the game.

You see, it is not easy to tell the story, and I do feel awkward for the way i am saying things, but tally ho, on I go.

I think that we should adopt some hardened principles towards coaching.

1. Never yell when a softer voice will do.
2.Always wait 3 seconds before saying anything, saner heads and all that
3.Never put your hands on another person in anger, for any reason.
4. Put yourself in the person's shoes first.
5. Teach rather than preach

Now onto Mike Babcock, well it's obvious that his message was lost in the dressing room, and his tactics had worn through, but despite that, he was, and I emphasize was a good coach, but prone to repeat him self.
Mitch Marner

Today's athlete has obvious limitations to them, they can only process a certain amount of knowledge into themselves, and no more.  I do not know why, it's just the way of things.
Telling Mitch Marner to rank the hardest working players on his own team was not a good choice.
Actually asking him to rank the Boston Bruin players might have been a better way of accomplishing what Babcock was  going for.

I know, it's getting too long a preachy message so I will wind things up by saying a few choice words.

Love your enemies, love your faults, love yourself, and believe in your self.


No comments:

Post a Comment