Sunday, November 10, 2019

Mitch

Mitch awaiting a walk

Sadly this is the second time that I have had to post a notice like this.
Bailey and Keon past away some years back, veterans of the wars, and my daughter Kelly decided that we needed a new dog, a new chapter in our lives.

Well, after some research we spotted a breed that would be ideal, a Golden Doodle,a mix of Poodle and Golden Retriever, and their characteristic of non shedding was a blessing, and his hypo allergenic fur made Mike able to breathe easier.

Well for 9 and one half years that blessing was given to my wife and I. Many walks and many cuddles ensued, but unfortunately he succumbed to that dreaded beast cancer.

I won't go into all the facts, but sufficed to say, he went quietly and bravely into that good night. Cindy was with him, as I could not bear to watch another of my best pals go swiftly into darkness.

Mitch was an avid squirrel chaser, and occasional rabbit chaser but he never tired of walking with me.

Never did he complain about the weather , the snow, the rain, he would have made an outstanding postman.

Kelly holding Mitch

He had a unique habit of barking at animals on our High Def TV screen, an annoying habit, but one that I would gladly put up with in exchange for another day of his barking.

He met several other dogs, beautiful Jasper, little Sulley amongst other friends, but sadly he is gone.

I did not name him, the kids named him Mitch , I think after comedian Mitch Hedberg, not local hero Mitch Marner, but I think it was fate that they named him after a future leak, after all, his predecessors Baily and Keon were named after ex Leafs, Ace Bailey and Davey Keon.

Now when Marner skates down the ice and dipsy doodles around defenders, I think of our Mitch dipsy doodling around out in the backyard chasing a squirrel, or rabbit.



Here is one of the rare pictures I had had taken of me and Mitch, when he allowed me to hold him.

I am crying as I write this, and must stay strong for the family,Lord knows this has been a very hard year for our entire family.

Mitch McCullough, RIP
October 29th, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment