Friday, October 12, 2018

Move over Bobby




I get self-conscious whenever I write a lot about one team in a short span of time because I worry that in doing so I’m not giving proper recognition to other equally big stories.  I’m particularly wary of focusing too much on the Maple Leafs because I’ve spent my whole life in Toronto and I don’t want that to cloud me from taking a national perspective on the league.  But how can I not focus on the Maple Leafs right now given the start they’ve had?




Averaging five goals in each of their first five games is insane.  Morgan Rielly recording 12 points in five games is insane.  He’s surpassed Bobby Orr for the second most points ever by a defenseman through five games – and the record holder is Harry Cameron’s 15 points set all the way back in 1917-18 with the Toronto Arenas.  Auston Matthews scoring nine goals in five games is insane.  He’s also become the youngest player ever to record multiple points in each of their team’s first five games, taking that admittedly obscure record from Wayne Gretzky.  The fact that there are four players this season with at least 10 points and they’re all members of the Maple Leafs is insane.  John Tavares is there with six goals and 10 points, as is Mitchell Marner with three goals and 10 points.




This won’t last.  Toronto has a strong offense, but no offense in the modern NHL is this strong.  Eventually the Maple Leafs will run into scoring problems, as all teams do from time to time.  Regardless of when that comes, we’ll soon see their average goals per game start to trend down, because this is just unsustainable.  When that happens, their current defensive struggles will take the spotlight unless they’ve been addressed.  For now though, it’s fun to watch, especially if you took any of Matthews, Rielly, Tavares, or Marner in your fantasy league.


He shoots He scores !

No comments:

Post a Comment